So this last week changes took place and I was called to "La Villa" as a financial secretary. I now work in the office every morning and have a lot more responsibilities. As financial secretary:
- P-Days are now on Saturday and in my zone we have the temple (but can not do sessions), mini golf, bowling, a real mall, walmart, price smart (costco), a zoo, and pretty much all fast food. Our area is the main part of Guatemala in the capital, where the mission offices are located.
- We are in the office from 10-3 everyday but sometimes we leave earlier when we finish early. In the office we have to pay bills, cash and write checks, balance the credit cards, do the reimbursements, and pay other bills. We help the missionaries with housing costs and changing house, when they need a taxi, organizing changes, watching the budget of the mission, and other things like that. We are in the office with the assistants and executive secretaries (they are in charge of other things like mail, baptismal records, etc.) too. We all hang out.
- food is normal fast food everyday. We go out and get something to eat.
- we also have a car that the 6 of use in the office to share. It is a Toyota Hilux and the 6 of us squeeze into it even though there are only 5 seat, and at times we have 8 people in there. No one cares as it is normal here. The cops just wave and do not do anything. Before driving it I had to watch a cheesy church video called "drive safely" with apostles and other church leaders giving tips on how to drive it safely. I was really nervous to drive again after 8 months of not driving but luckily I did not hit anything ;). It is kinda sketchy driving here as there are no road laws (from what I have seen. There are laws- but no one follows them and there is no real punishment for not following them. Just stop lights are kinda followed). It is also weird driving a truck and it has taken some getting used to.
- we also work with president and his wife more along with brother and sister Daly
- also have my own desk and computer to use
Elder Baum is my comp. He is from Utah and is really cool. We were both in the CCM together and he is very laid back but wants to work hard too, so it should be a great change. We get along really well. The area here is a good area, lot of work we have to do but it looks like it will be a good area. In the district we have the Zone leaders and the sister training leaders but their P-day is still on Monday, so we do not see our district a lot. It is just normally us in the office that hang out and do things.
Having the best day of his life,
New Comp Elder Baum.
Below pics of the office, my computer/desk and new apartment.
Views from outside.